14th Sept - 29 Sept 1973 - Birmingham Hippodrome
4th Oct - 12 Oct 1973 - Victoria Palace, London
"They're CARRYING On..."
"LIVE! on Stage"
The Stars Sidney James
Trudi Van Doorn
Les Quatre Rosetti
The Crew Writer
Talbot Rothwell, Dave Freeman & Eric Merriman
R St John Roper Ltd
Albert J Knight
Peter Rogers was always one to take a successful idea and created something new out of it, so after the films and the TV series why not a stage show based on the idea of the Carry Ons. Not all the regulars wanted to do it, notably Kenneth Williams and Joan Sims, who would have been very good in it due to their stage background, so Rogers opened with Sid James, Barbara Windsor, Kenneth Connor, Peter Butterworth, Bernard Bresslaw and Jack Douglas. Sid didn't want Jack Douglas to be in it due to him being considered a comedian by Sid, and this scared him. Sid was excellent comedian, but he always worked with a script, and very rarely came away from it, but with Jack's standup background - this worried him. One night when the crowed was partially playful, Jack started to adlib and bounce gags of members of the cast, Sid just stood there and had to let it all go over his head.The show was a mixture of comedy sketches, standup routines, song and dance and speciality acts, with the spirit of the Variety days of stage. The crowd pleasers were the 6 innuendo-crusted mini Carry Ons sketches that really brought the crowds in for more. These written by the pen of Carry On script writer Talbot Rothwell starred the 6 regulars, and the chance to see Sid "Yakking" his way through these, live on the stage, must have been amazing.
The sketches were lifted from the most popular films. You have the Emergency Ward 99 sketch (Carry On Doctor), was a highlight. Having no Hattie Jacques wasn't a problem, they just stuffed Bernard Bresslaw into a Matrons outfit. The Elizabethan Madrigals sketch (Carry On Henry), lifted from the 1972 TV Christmas Special, always brought the house down, when Sid starts singing the unforgettable ballad "Balls, Balls, Banquets and Balls" (touching on Carry On Don't Lose Your Head).
Of course, the classic Carry On Cleo isn't forgotten about, with Barbara Windsor playing Cleo to Sid's Caesar - a real delight when Peter Butterworth is thrown in as Grabatiti, this show's where the shows level was.
- ROUND-ABOUT VICTORIA!!! - THE DANCING GIRLS and BOYS. SIDNEY JAMES, BARBARA WINDSOR, KENNETH CONNOR, BERNARD BRESSLAW, JACK DOUGLAS, PETER BUTTERWORTH TAKE UP RESIDENCE!
- WHAT A CARRY ON! - with SIDNEY, BARBARA, KENNETH, BERNARD, JACK and PETER assisted by George Truzzi and Billy Tasker
- "CARRY ON GIRLS" - with JANET MAHONEY, THE CARRY ON SHOWGIRLS, THE DANCING GIRLS and BOYS introducing LES QUATRE ROSETTI
- "ELIZABETHAN MADRIGALS" with SYDNEY, BARBARA, KENNETH, BERNARD, JACK and PETER
- DEAUVILLE 1900 - THE SHOWGIRLS THE DANCING GIRLS and BOYS, THE SILHOUETTES
- ... and now 'THE MAESTRO' - SIDNEY JAMES
- LONDON NIGHT OUT - THE SHOWGIRLS and BOYs
- CURTAIN TIME at the ROYAL STANDARD MUSIC HALL
.. PROGRAMME ...
MISS LOTTIE COLLINS - Janet Mahoney
OUR WORTHY MANAGER - Jack Douglas
OUR PATRIOTIC TABLEAUX ... THE BRITISH EMPIRE ... A TRIBUTE TO OUR GALLANT SOLDIERS
- CARRY ON LOVING! with JANET MAHONEY, THE DANCING GIRLS and BOYS, THE SHOWGIRLS
- "HELLO DOLLIES" - introducing THE NEW DOLLY'S
- BE PREPARED!
The Scoutmaster - SIDNEY JAMES
Scout Babcock - BERNARD BRESSLAW
Scout Muggeridge - JACK DOUGLAS
Scout Pennimore - KENNETH CONNOR
Barbara - BARBARA WINDSOR
Ethel - PETER BUTTERWORTH
Barbara's friends - SORRALYN CROSTON & LYNNE TAYLOR
- THE BOYS and GIRLS INTRODUCE SINGING STAR LYNN ROGERS
- "CLEOPATRA'S PALACE ON THE NILE" THE DANCING GIRLS and BOYS THE SHOWGIRLS
- CLEOPATRA'S BOUDOIR
(Cast in order of appearance)
Cleopatra (Queen of the Nile) - BARBARA WINDSOR
Enoch (a Hefty, Dusky Eunuch) - BERNARD BRESSLAW
Grabatiti (High Priest) - PETER BUTTERWORTH
Mark Antony (Lend me your Ears) - KENNETH CONNOR
Caesar (Rome's Godfather) - SIDNEY JAMES
Titus Atticus (Captain of the Guard) - JACK DOUGLAS
with SIDNEY, BARBARA, KENNETH, BERNARD, JACK, PETER AND THE COMPANY
'Our House' (Sidney James) - Pye 7N 45281. 'Smile, Smile, Smile' (Kenny Ball) - Pye 7N 45275